- Pre-pharmacy requirements may be met by transfer, community college, or exam-based credit. Equivalency is required, and the grade must be C or higher.
- KU Pharm.D. admission requires all pre-pharmacy courses to be a grade of C or higher.
- KU Core goals 1 through 4 are required pre-pharmacy.
- An Associate of Arts (AA) degree from a Kansas institution meets KU Core goals 1 through 3.
- An earned accredited bachelor’s degree meets KU Core goals 1 through 6.
- KU Core goals 5 and 6 are not required on a pre-pharmacy basis because they are met during pharmacy school.
- See KU Core for information about KU's general education requirements
- Transfer students please use CREDTRAN via KU Admissions: Transferring Credit to determine equivalency and KU Core applicability.
Required Pre-Pharmacy Courses
|Course Group||Course Area||Course Options - Honors courses in blue||KU Core req. met|
|Quantitative||Statistics||MATH 365, MATH 526, BIOL 570, PSYC 210, BSAN/DSCI 202||GE12|
|Quantitative||Calculus||MATH 115, MATH 125, MATH 145||GE12|
|Quantitative||Physics||PHSX 114, PHSX 210/216, PHSX 211, PHSX 213/216||GE11|
|Chemistry||General Chemistry I||CHEM 130, CHEM 170, CHEM 190/191||GE3N|
|Chemistry||General Chemistry II||CHEM 135, CHEM 175, CHEM 195/196||GE3N|
|Chemistry||Organic Chemistry I||CHEM 330/331, CHEM 380/331||GE3N|
|Chemistry||Organic Chemistry II||CHEM 335/336, CHEM 385/336||GE3N|
|Biology||Molecular & Cellular||BIOL 150, BIOL 151, BIOL 416 (+426 lab prior to 2022)||GE3N|
|Biology||Human Anatomy||BIOL 240||GE3N|
|Biology||Microbiology||BIOL 400/402, BIOL 401/402||GE3N|
|Biology||Mammalian Physiology||BIOL 546/547||GE3N|
|KU Core||English Composition I||ENGL 101||GE21 (#1)|
|KU Core||English Composition II||ENGL 102, ENGL 105||GE21 (#2)|
|KU Core||Oral Communication||COMS 130, COMS 131, COMS 132, COMS 133, JOUR 150, PHIL 150, THR 120||GE22|
|KU Core||Arts and Humanities||any GE3H course||GE3H|
|KU Core||Social Science||any GE3S course||GE3S|
|KU Core||Diversity in the U.S.||any AE41 course||AE41|
|KU Core||Global Perspective||any AE42 course||AE42|
Credit/No Credit - Spring 2020 - Spring 2021
The KU School of Pharmacy faculty and staff is concerned about all students preparing to apply for the Doctor of Pharmacy program. To provide some relief for our future students during the COVID-19 crisis we will honor Credit/No Credit grades for all pre-pharmacy courses completed during the Spring 2020, Summer 2020, Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters. If a student decides to request a CR/NC grade over a letter grade for these semesters it will not affect their status with the KU School of Pharmacy.